Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help regarding Gouldian Finches

Assalam o Elaikum,

I am a hobbyist breeder of Zebra Finches and Budgies from Karachi, Now i am looking to keep some Gouldian Finches.
    I keep my birds on my roof in the open, in 8 portion wire cages (mostly) with three sides covered with thick fabric. The place where i keep these cages receives about 2 hours direct sunlight.
    I give my birds very good nutrition (I donot breed for money, so i dont care about expenditures on my birdies).
    The problem is, many of my Zebras die in the cold winter nights. But it is difficult to afford the loss of relatively much expensive Gouldians.

Questions:
    1- Should i keep the Gouldians in the open in Karachi in this season?
    2- How well Gouldians breed?
    3- In which season should i purchase Goulds? Right now, or should i wait for the summer?
    4- In which season i can get gouldians cheaper?
    6- Market price of Gouldians right now?
    7- Please answer the same questions for Singing Canaries too.
    8- Any Tips, Suggestions etc etc.

Looking for the Experts to reply!

Regards!

Re: Help regarding Gouldian Finches

Weather has drastically changed in khi so I'd suggest if u don't have a proper facility postpone purchasing gouldains till Feb

Gouldains r very bad parents n often abandon eggs n chicks so Ul need Society finches as foster parents.parents . If u can get two males as foster parents that would be best

Gouldains come in various colours but personally I like the standard common more although lotino gouldains r also in demand. So for colour choice get a pair which looks pleasant to ur eyes

As regards to canary they r very good n caring parents but very less resale.their r various varieties like Gibber, Taiwan etc each has its own beauty n price.

Once u make up ur mind of keeping a pair plz post post ur query on the forum n inshaAllah Ul be guided .good luck brother
    Sirf Ehsas e Nidamat, ik sajda aur Chashm e Tar....
    Aey Khuda kitna aasan hai manana tujh ko....

Comment

100 % Agreed with @ Bahroni

Comment

Thank you [MENTION=8425]Bahroni[/MENTION] Bahroni Sahab, I have never tried with the expensive birds because of the risk factor and lack of time, But now I feel confident to invest in expensive birds when i have advice from experts like you!

Since your reply i was reading about using Society Finches, I have made my mind to get these decent birds as soon as possible (Although i donot like their looks very much). Right now i am considering to bring 'atleast' a trio of Society Finches i.e 1 hen, 2 cocks. because now i am also interested in breeding Society finches too .

Common/wild Gouldians fascinate me much more than any other mutation, so I would go for those Inshallah!

1- I just need some clarification about fostering, Lets suppose i have 2 Society cocks in a cage, and then I put some gouldian babies in the nest box, would the cocks start taking care of the babies all by themselves???? It just sounds awkward to me, I have fostered budgie babies by putting them with the pairs who have babies of same age, but this Society Finches case just does not seem workable to me. Please Clarify!
        2- Would the trio of Society finches can live in same cage and Breed themselves and also Foster the youngs from Gouldians?
        3- Would it work if I provide a small hot water radiator (a v.v.small version of what we use for room heating especially in Islamabad) in the cage at nights ? I have read on many places that people keep Gouldians at freezing temperatures of as low as 40F in foreign countries, they just provide heaters in the water to keep it melted and warm.
        4- If i get the birds in February, Eventually they will have to face the same weather next year, Would the get adjusted to it or would have problems?

A- I am putting the idea of cannaries away for now.
        B- Apart from gouldians , I am also very much interested in getting 2-3 pairs of Java, White mutation most probably, Can you help regarding these? I will keep them on the same location as of Goulds (Open on the roof, with wall on back of the cage).

Waiting for replies!

Comment

Gouldains would abandon the egg normally once the clutch is complete so chicks tak baat he nahi pohnchey gee
          what u gotta do is that once clutch is complete replace the nest box with the one that u had installed in ur society finches cage
          for same very reason I was referring to using two males as foster parents Coz if u have a pair of society finches Ul have to waste their eggs so that they accept the gouldains eggs which in my opinion is a bit cruel
          both males will incubate n hatch the chicks n will also raise em perfectly as normal pair would do

Comment

Gouldains would abandon the egg normally once the clutch is complete so chicks tak baat he nahi pohnchey gee
            what u gotta do is that once clutch is complete replace the nest box with the one that u had installed in ur society finches cage
            for same very reason I was referring to using two males as foster parents Coz if u have a pair of society finches Ul have to waste their eggs so that they accept the gouldains eggs which in my opinion is a bit cruel
            both males will incubate n hatch the chicks n will also raise em perfectly as normal pair would do

Comment

As far as ur query of keeping birds on roof top is concerned most of the fanciers keep their birds outdoors either on roof top or gground floor.the only thing they ensure is that the birds r properly covered with plastic to make temperature comfortable for them against cold
              so if u can manage that then no issues as temperatures in punjab n kpk are even severe than those in khi.so once birds r surviving there shouldn't be an issue in khi
              I recommended waiting till February on the pretext that if u r unable to provide proper shelter n temperature control for ur birds it's better to wait till February instead of risking loss of life.if u can manage n take the responsibility then plz Kadam Barhao Hum Tumharey Saath Hain

- - - Updated - - -

As far as ur query of keeping birds on roof top is concerned most of the fanciers keep their birds outdoors either on roof top or gground floor.the only thing they ensure is that the birds r properly covered with plastic to make temperature comfortable for them against cold
              so if u can manage that then no issues as temperatures in punjab n kpk are even severe than those in khi.so once birds r surviving there shouldn't be an issue in khi
              I recommended waiting till February on the pretext that if u r unable to provide proper shelter n temperature control for ur birds it's better to wait till February instead of risking loss of life.if u can manage n take the responsibility then plz Kadam Barhao Hum Tumharey Saath Hain

Comment

Apologies for duplicate posts my Smart Cellphone is acting Real DUMB

Comment

Thankyou very much!
                  Is it sure that Society finches will start incubating the eggs right away?
                  It just seems weird!

Comment

Yes brother that's true
                    they r excellent parents

Comment

I have kept gouldians in the past and found them a little bit more delicate and difficult to breed. Mine were in an airconditioned room (bcos of 50 degree temp outside) and one day when i returned from work, I found a 3-4 days old chick on the floor. it was aliv so I put it in the society nest 9which had chicks of their own) and then fostered many gouldians under them. You will have to keep two pairs for every gouldian pair to synch their egg laying otherwise they will not incubate eggs properly. have heard about males incubating but never tried it myslef.

having said that I have many breeders hers who breed their gouldians without any fostering and they had a problem or two but on the whole they claim that gouldians are responsible parents. So what can i say. some interesting reading

http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_breeding1.php

http://www.exoticpet.com/gouldians.htm

http://www.ladygouldianfinch-ca.com/...eding-FAQ.html
                      I love all kinds of birds/animals specially finches/Canaries and ex. class english budgies
                      M A. Mirza
                      Karachi

Comment

Another very informative site for Gouldians

http://www.lady-gouldian-finch-breed...-breeding.html
                        I love all kinds of birds/animals specially finches/Canaries and ex. class english budgies
                        M A. Mirza
                        Karachi

Comment

i have a question.. do gouldian finches breed in colony? like colony or big aviary containing society finches, red factor canaries and gouldian finches? please help

Comment

Working...
                          X