Mongoose/Nevla as Pet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongoose/Nevla as Pet

As discussed in another topic about snakes and on the request of nadeem akhtar i am starting this thread
    Mongoose or Nevla have been kept from generations in this part of the world.
    The Indian mongoose is easily tamed and is often kept as a pet and a destroyer of household vermin. Imported into the West Indies to kill rats, it destroyed most of the small, ground-living native fauna. Mongooses are a common spectacle for road-side shows in India. Snake-charmers typically keep mongooses for mock fights with snakes.
    The other day in the birds market i heard someone inquiring about the Nevla's baby.
    My father used to have one.Whenever a snake charmer would come,he would offer a duel with his snakes and ultimately snake would be killed.During the fight the Nevla would be bitten and after the fight it would become weak and lazy until it would vomit and then it would be fine.Once our servant caught a baby from our Poultry farms and remember it can destroy hundreds of chicks in a night.It would just make a cut on the chicks head and then move to the other.So we had this baby Nevla which i used to move.The proper way was to tie the leach at the end of a stick and move the Nevla by the stick so it would not attack you.I would then move my fingers slowly on its back and head.It wasnt long kept and one day the rope broke and it was lost.
    In villages in KPK people love to keep it and when they move they keep it on their shoulders just like the parrots
    I hope it will be interesting to you all and to some New.
    Attached Files

Re: Mongoose/Nevla as Pet

choro yaar kya karo gay manhoos kism ka janwar hay
    [B]With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow – I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud..................Confucius......

Comment

they are good guard against snakes. last year a black cobra(about 2 meters long) attacked dogs at my Derra and killed them. i was much worried about the buffaloes and persons living there.apart from from our hard tries to find and kill the beast we were failed but a family of Newlas managed to tackled the snake and after a week we found the cobra dead in the fields.

Comment

To avaoid snakes u can keep peacocks at home.snakes r it's favorite meal n they won't enter an area where peacocks r living.rest all creatures are made by Allah we don't have any reason to brand them Manhoos or lucky charm
        Sirf Ehsas e Nidamat, ik sajda aur Chashm e Tar....
        Aey Khuda kitna aasan hai manana tujh ko....

Comment

Originally posted by Bahroni View Post
          To avaoid snakes u can keep peacocks at home.snakes r it's favorite meal n they won't enter an area where peacocks r living.rest all creatures are made by Allah we don't have any reason to brand them Manhoos or lucky charm
          Yes my dear friend all are surely made by Allah, but you cannot keep Dogs, Pigs in your houses they are told to us by Islam that they are forbidden and manhoos.
          I was talking about Islamic view that newla is manhoos type of animal.

I am sure you had my point cleared now.

Thanks for reply
          [B]With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow – I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud..................Confucius......

Comment

we can surely keep dogs for security purpose and hunting
            Feed the birds in winter; in return, they will feed your soul with the look of gratitude

Comment

Originally posted by shahroze View Post
              we can surely keep dogs for security purpose and hunting
              "keeping dogs for security purpose" means that u r keeping them really for security purpose. most of the people like to keep the dog but they satisfy themselves by thinking that it is for security purpose, this is wrong.

Comment

well as for peacocks are concerned i have personal experience ,i kept peacocks for a long time .One day a snake came near peacocks however my peacocks got panicked and started running away from snake. The myth that they eat snake was broken right infront of my eyes.

Comment

[MENTION=8225]ka_khan[/MENTION] thanx for starting this thread, found very informative what all you wrote. I m really in contact with these creatures as near my house they are in big numbers, very fat and healthy ones who continue to petrol on our walls , roofs and trees.They really did Tabahi in my street and no one was able to keep a pet in home, ate 6x hens in my next door, killed 5x pigeons in another house and so on. I always respected their liberty and ignored them until the day one female mangoose attacked our albino female rabbit who was pregnant and killed her in her home we made for her however, I shot her right at the place of crime (refer to my thread my rabit, mangose and my gun). That was the start of war between us started by mangooses, using hunting skills and courtesy to my gun I killed 10 in a weeks time. Now they are in controlled numbers and seen very less. Now beside visibility i dont take them on as dont wana kill all in the area as they are good to control snakes.
                  Macaws, Cacatoos, African Greys, Eclectus Parrot Red / Blue Streak / Rainbow Lorrys[/COLOR], Sun / Jendaye/ YSGCC / Pine Apple Cinemon Conours, Lutino / Opline Rumps / Mulga, Rosellas,Exhibition / Crested Budgrigars, Ringed Necks, Tiels, Personatas, [COLOR="#008080"]Java

Comment

Originally posted by lovenature View Post
                    well as for peacocks are concerned i have personal experience ,i kept peacocks for a long time .One day a snake came near peacocks however my peacocks got panicked and started running away from snake. The myth that they eat snake was broken right infront of my eyes.
                    sir, i agree, have had same experience with my peacocks and pheasants

Comment

I agree that mongoose is a pest sometimes but God has created them for a purpose. I was just thinking , is it right to shoot all of them?. Even snakes which are much deadly serve a purpose and it is forbidden in some countries to kill them without any valid reason. It is not their fault that they kill small animals . It is their food. They cant differentiate between domestic and wild birds/aniamls. You should protect your pets.
                      I love all kinds of birds/animals specially finches/Canaries and ex. class english budgies
                      M A. Mirza
                      Karachi

Comment

In race between cat and mouse, the mouse mostly wins….
                        Because the cat runs for its food … But the mouse runs for its life.
                        Purpose is more important than Need.
                        Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahroni View Post
                          Agree with you guys >!!
                          How to get rid of pests?

Comment

Working...
                          X